Kansas Inmate Phones/Sending Money & Mail

Sending Mail to Inmates in Kansas

Inmates incarcerated in Kansas are only allowed to receive letters, photos and publications through the mail (do not send stamps through the mail, stamps must be purchased by the inmate through the commissary).  Letters should not contain anything written in code, maps, or decorations/embellishments including stickers, glitter, glue, lipstick, perfume etc.  You can now also communicate with inmates through an electronic messaging service (fee's apply) offered through JPAY.

Photos sent to inmates should be no larger than 4"x6" and should not be instant or Polaroid, as these pose a security threat to the institution.  Photos that contain nudity, or anything illegal will be rejected by the facility.

When sending correspondence to an inmate in Kansas you should format the address as follows:
Inmate Name, ID Number
Facility Name
PO Box or Street address
City, State, zip code

Remember to include your complete name and address in the upper left hand corner of the envelope where the return address should be displayed.  If you fail to put the senders name on mail it will be rejected.  

How to Send Books and Magazines to Kansas Inmates

Inmates are also allowed to receive books, magazines and newspapers through a reputable publisher like Amazon.com.  All books must be soft cover and new.  No books, magazines, or newspapers can contain nudity, contain hate speech, incite violence, describe how to make weapons or explosives, or contain maps.  Any publication that could potentially put the safety and security of the facility in danger will be rejected.  If you want to learn more about sending publications to an inmate, you can read about it here.

Sending Money to Inmates in Kansas

Offenders have access to money through a personal inmate trust fund.  These funds can be sent to inmates by friends and family members through two companies JPAY and Access Secure Deposits.  The inmate's trust fund works similar to a bank account.  Offenders can use their funds to purchase items from the commissary such as paper, pens, stamps, envelopes, foods, snacks, hygiene items, clothing and more.  Click here to see a sample commissary order form.

You can send funds to an inmate by:

  • Walk In
  • Internet
  • Mail
  • Phone

Before you can send the funds you will need to know the following information:

  • The Inmates Name
  • The Inmates Identification Number
  • The current location of the inmate

Deposit by Walk In
Friends and family members can deposit money by visiting any MoneyGram location, this includes any CVS or Walmart.  You will need to use the receive code 6577.  The deposit may be made for a fee and can be paid with cash or debit card.

Deposit by Internet
You can also deposit money to an inmate's account online through JPAY and Access Secure Deposits.  Each of these companies charges a fee to send the funds, and allows you to use a debit or credit card. 

Deposit Funds Over the Phone
You can also deposit funds over the phone by calling JPAY at 1-800-574-5729, or through Access Secure Deposits at 1-866-345-1884.  Both of these companies charge a fee for sending the funds.

Deposit Funds Through the Mail
This method is the slowest, but has the smallest fee associated with it.  Using a certified/cashier's check, or a United States Postal Money Order, made payable to 'JPAY' if you want to use JPAY or made payable to 'Access Secure Deposits' if you want to use Access Secure Deposits.  The remitter information, or the information about yourself that must be included on the check are your first and last name and full address.  For sending funds using either company you will need to print a deposit slip to accompany your check/money order.

For JPAY you will use this deposit slip.  Complete the deposit slip and mail it along with your money order to:
P.O. Box 530427
Miami Shores, FL 33153

For Access Secure Deposits use this deposit slip.  Complete the deposit slip and mail it along with your money order to:
Secure Deposits - Kansas DOC
P.O. Box 12486
St. Louis, MO 63132

For more information on sending funds to an inmate, read our guide here.

Kansas Inmate Phone Calls

All inmates are allowed to make outgoing collect or prepaid calls.  Inmates are never allowed to receive incoming calls, nor will the staff relay any messages to the inmate.  In the event of a family emergency, such as a death or serious illness, you can contact the institution and ask to be forwarded to the inmate's counselor where you can explain to the counselor why you are calling.  The counselor will verify the emergency and determine the best way to proceed and may relay the message to the inmate.  

In order to have normal phone calls with your inmate you must first be on the inmate's approved call list.  Once your phone number has been verified and activated, the inmate will be able to call you.  If you have call waiting, three way calling or use call forwarding your call may be dropped.  All calls are recorded and monitored with the exception of legal calls.

The pre-paid phone service provider for Kansas inmates is CenturyLink.  You can setup an account by calling 1-888-506-8407, or can setup an account online at icsolutions.com.

If the only phone you have to receive inmate calls on is a cell phone you will need to establish a pre-paid account with the telephone company by calling 1-800-333-8856.

CentruyLink will charge you a fee for each call, plus a rate per minute.  You may be able to drastically reduce your inmate phone bill by setting up your account with a number local to the facility.  Learn more about how you can save money on your inmate phone calls.