Visiting Applications and Rules for Visiting an Inmate in Maryland
When people think of visiting a prison they often feel discouraged or even overwhelmed at how to go about doing it. To make it easier for everyone we have assembled some of the most important things you'll need to know in order to visit your inmate in Maryland:
- When an inmate goes through the initial reception process they will complete a visitors card that will have the names and addresses of anyone he or she wishes to have visit. The inmate can later add or remove names through their case management specialist.
- Inmates are allowed to have up to 15 visitors on their visitation list.
- Each visitor must fill out a visitors application and have it approved before they can visit. The application is not available online and must be requested directly from the inmate either over the phone, or by sending the inmate a request for a visiting application in a letter.
- The inmate's attorney and anyone on official business may visit the inmate without being on the inmate's approved visitation list.
- Inmates can lose visitation privileges if they are convicted of rule violations. First conviction is a loss of 6 months, second is a loss of 12 months, third conviction is an indefinite loss of visiting privileges.
- Anyone 16 years and older must present a valid photo ID, either a valid state issued ID, a valid drivers license, a valid passport, or valid military ID.
- All visitors under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian, and should have their birth certificate with them to prove who they are.
- All visitors will be searched and must pass through a metal detector. Failure to successfully pass through the metal detector, or be searched will result in visitation being denied. Your car may also be searched once it is on the property of the institution. Canine units may be used during the search.
When visiting an inmate in Maryland, some additional information you may want to know is:
- You must sign in for visitation when you arrive at the facility.
- Tobacco related products including lighters are not allowed to enter the prison leave these items in your car.
- Cell phones, cameras, video cameras, music devices, and electronics of any kind are not allowed to enter into the prison.
- You should only bring a single car key, your ID, and small bills for the vending machines into visitation.
- You should always use the restroom before entering into visitation. Often times leaving the visiting area to use the restroom will result in the visit being terminated at that time.
Dress Code/Contact Rules for Visitors of Maryland Inmates
All prisons require visitors follow a dress code for the safety and security of the institution. Ultimately it is up to the staff to interpret and enforce the dress code, because of this we suggest you always bring a change of clothes with you that you keep in your car. This allows you to quickly change in the event that someone objects to an item of clothing you are wearing.
- Refrain from talking to other visitors and inmates other then the one you are approved to see.
- General rule is all clothing must cover from the neck to the kneecaps.
- Tube tops, tank tops, and halter tops are not allowed to be worn.
- Coats, jackets, shawls, and scarves may not be worn into the visiting room.
- Any clothing that closely resembles the inmates clothes or the staffs clothes is prohibited.
- Uniforms such as military or doctors/nurse scrubs are restricted from being worn.
- Any clothing that exposes the midriff, back, shoulders, cleavage, thighs or other excessive skin is not allowed.
- If the clothing is tight such as spandex, leggings, and leotards, or is sheer or see-through it cannot be worn.
- Skirts, shorts, and dresses that are above the knee or have a slit above the knee are not allowed.
- If your clothing contains offensive language or images you will not be allowed to visit.
If you have a question about visiting an inmate in Maryland, or have already visited your inmate and would like to share your experience, or know of some other useful information you want to share with other potential visitors, please post it below.